Welcome to Formspring!
Our Policy Toward Children
Formspring does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information (defined below), we will delete such information from our files and disable their account.
Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site, services, features and content, to administer your account and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Site.
- In the course of using the Site, we will ask you to provide us with certain personal information that can be used to contact or identify you and administer your account (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name and email address. Please be aware that when you register with Formspring and set up an account (each a “Formspring Registered User”), other users of the Site will be able to see your username, in addition to any questions, answers or comments that you post to the Site or submit via the services subject to the “user preferences” you set in your account.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of registration and the administration and personalization of your profile webpage (e.g., without limitation, gender or location (in either case other their own) (“Non-Identifying Information”).
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide services, complete your transactions, and administer your inquiries.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example,combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. However, the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other Formspring users to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality of the Site and our services and to analyze and understand how our Site and services are used. Subject to the section below titled “Information Sharing and Disclosure,” we may also use the combined information without aggregating it to serve you specifically, for instance to deliver a product to you according to your preferences or restrictions.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with Formspring newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out as described above, we will not be able to remove your Personal Information from our databases or those of our third party service providers (i.e., to which we have already provided your Personal Information as of the date that we implement your opt-out request). Formspring does not share, sell, rent or trade your Personal Information with third parties for such third party's direct marketing purposes. See the section below titled “Information Sharing and Disclosure” for further information regarding how we share your Personal Information.
Publicly available information
When you sign up for a Formspring account, your user name, photograph and bio are publicly available. Such information may, for example, be accessed by everyone on the Internet (including people not logged into Formspring), be indexed by third party search engines, and be imported, exported, distributed, and redistributed by us and others without privacy limitations. Such information may also be associated with you, including your name and profile picture, even outside of Formspring, such as on public search engines and when you visit other sites on the internet. The default privacy setting for certain types of information you post on Formspring is set to “public.” You can review and change the default settings in your privacy settings, and also select to make your account “Protected” which allows you to control who has access to viewing your profile.
When you use the Site, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or online service (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include, but is not limited to, your computer's Internet Protocol address, browser type, the web page you were visiting before you came to the Site and information you search for on our Site. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and our services and for the Site's technical administration, to increase the Site's functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor our Site and services to our visitors' needs.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
We may also use “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs” or similar means (individually or collectively “Pixel Tags”) in connection with our Site to collect usage, demographic and geographical location data. A Pixel Tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel, that is ordinarily not visible to users and may be associated with cookies on a user's hard drive. Pixel Tags allow us to count users who have visited certain pages of the Site, to deliver branded services and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional or advertising campaigns.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Other than as described in this section, Formspring does not rent or share information about you with third parties.
Formspring Registered Users
We will display your Personal Information in your profile page and elsewhere on the Site and via our services according to the preferences you set in your account. For example, in addition to your username, any questions, answers or submissions that you post to the Site will be publicly available and any Personal Information you provide can be read, collected, or used by other users of Site, and could be used to send you messages depending on the privacy settings you set for your profile. Any information you choose to provide when using the Site or our services should reflect how much you want other Formspring users to know about you. We encourage users to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their profile pages and submissions. You can review and revise your profile information at any time. We are not responsible for the Personal Information you choose to submit to the Site or make available via our services.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information
We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate the Site and the services available therein, to provide the services on our behalf and to perform services related to administration of the Site (“Service Providers”). The types of Service Providers we use include, without limitation, services providers that provide the following types of services: website maintenance, hosting, database management, web analytics and administration. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Third Party Social Networking Services and Blogs
As a Formspring Registered User, you can link your Formspring account information with certain social networking services (“SNSs”) and blogging services (“Blogs”) and share your answers to questions with your friends or visitors to your Blogs. In these instances, with your permission and on your behalf we will share the information contained in your Formspring account (i.e., profile information and answers) with the SNSs and Blogs with which you choose to link your Formspring account. We also receive certain information (which may include your Personal Information) in accordance with the privacy settings you have set in your SNS account, if any. Other than what we may share with the SNS or Blog in connection with your linking of accounts, the personal information a SNS or Blog has about you is obtained by the SNS or Blog independent of our Services. Other services follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other online services you use
To remove yourself from these SNS connections, please log into your account, and “remove” under “services”.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
Formspring cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Formspring or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop any activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical, inappropriate or legally actionable. We reserve the right to do any of the foregoing.
Formspring may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
All Formspring Registered Users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their registration profile by logging into their account and changing the “user preferences” associated with their account. If you completely delete all such information, your account may be deactivated. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. If you have any questions regarding changing or deleting your information, you may contact us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within 30 business days.
Changing Your Privacy Settings
Formspring offers a variety of Privacy Settings that users can review and change at any time. Simply log into your account, go to “Settings” and select “Privacy” to review and adjust your settings as you wish.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Site, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. Formspring stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program.
Your friend may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database.
We utilize an import contacts feature to help you keep in touch with your contacts and other members. We make it easy for you to invite people from your email address books to join you on our Site. At your request we will search your email address book to help you import your contacts to our site.
Formspring is very concerned with safeguarding your information. We are not in the business of providing information security. We do employ limited data security measures, such as encryption, on some but not all systems. Do not provide your personal information if you are concerned with its disclosure.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Formspring. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your login password, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission's website.
Links to Other Sites
The Site contains links to other websites and online services that are not owned or controlled by Formspring. If you choose to visit an advertiser by “clicking on” a banner ad or other type of advertisement, or click on another third party link, you will be directed to that third party's website. The fact that we link to a website, content or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services. These other websites and services may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit. Formspring is not responsible for the practices of other websites or online services.